ADVERTISEMENT

To Helton or Not to Helton that is the QUESTION

USCBalto

Alumni
Feb 6, 2013
Been thinking about this a bit lately but given what I know and what I have learned about the administration at Usc, it has historically been insular, cheap, and shown poor, unsound judgement w/r/t the football program. They just make poor decisions and haven’t shown an ability to get out of their own way but for a lucky sixth choice strike of lightning named Pete Carroll.

So this brings up the quandary I have. I don’t think Helton is the best head coach we could get at Usc. And while there are certain things I like about him and what he’s done here like restoring order, maintaining the locker room after last years start and continuing to recruit well, while focusing on the lines, I don’t see him as dynamic in any manner, see he’s learning on the job, appears too unfocused at times and has been at the helm for two of the biggest losses in modern program history.

That said, I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I have no faith the powers that be at Usc will make a good hire of Helton doesn’t work out. So while I have significant doubts that he will be here in a couple years, the best case scenario for Usc is for him to identify and obtain some amazing coordinators and coaches and continue to be the CEO of the team. Look at the difference at Notre Dame this year after doing just that.

So, that’s my #1 hope. That Helton identifies weaknesses on the staff and addresses them. He may not be elite but if he gets elite coordinators, we could see some great success.

And that keeps the likely bungling of a hire out of the disconnected and incestuous hands of the Usc administrators.

To conclude on the Shakespearean theme I started with, “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our coach / But in our admin, that we are underlings.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News