ADVERTISEMENT

Football Transcript of players comments tonight about cancellation of fall season

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
The transcript from the players' portion of the press conference:

Kedon Slovis on reaction to the news Tuesday ...

"It's something that unfortunately you kind of saw coming from a bit away. If you think a week ago kind of just not being able to, with all the restrictions still in place, we knew it wasn't looking good with our season kind of being in jeopardy. And then yesterday just to have it be solidified was really tough to see. It was kind of weird being at lifting after the news broke on Tuesday, but today I'm really proud of our guys and our team just coming into work and trying to control what we can control. It does no good kind of looking back and feeling sorry for ourselves. We've got goals and aspirations for where we want to be as a team, so we've got to work to achieve those and do our best to be ready whenever the next opportunity to play football is."

Talanoa Hufanga on his reaction ...

"Definitely it kind of took us and put us in a state of hurt as players. We love the game and we love to play, and I think Kedon said it best -- you can control what you can control. So at the end of the day I'm just proud of our guys as well as a safety unit showing up this morning and doing our best to get our strength training in and our conditioning in and ultimately try to do our best to keep our goals in sight."

Slovis on the reaction of teammates ...

"I think they're pretty similar, they fall in line with how me and Talanoa kind of felt yesterday. Again, my lifting group yesterday was at 2:15, that was right after the decision was made and again, we all kind of thought it was coming to a head at some point but it was really sad to see that we knew we were not going to be able to play anymore. But like I said, I'm really proud of my teammates for having that mindset of just coming out and not coming out and pouting about it. That doesn't do anyone any good so really proud of those guys for coming out to work and having a good attitude."

Hufanga on USC's protocols for player safety ...

"I'll describe it in two words -- the highest level. I think our coaches have done a great job of protecting us and putting the precautions of different things we have to do just to be able to get into the building, to get out of the building -- social distancing. You get used to wearing a mask. It's just part of the game and part of what's going on in our current state. We go out there each and every day with the mindset just to do our best."

Slovis on his message to keeping the team together going forward ...

"I think just staying focused on our goals and our aspirations. I think we have a really talented group and a really great team, but we have a long ways to go if we want to go win a national championship -- and that's our goal. So I think just staying driven and achieving those goals and staying together and holding each other accountable."

Hufanga on player accountability to follow the protocols ...

"It's been a big part of what we do -- accountability -- and he said it great, accountable is what we preach, especially in the DB crew. We all have partners, we have an accountability partner that makes sure we wake up, we're on time and ready to go each and every day. So you're accountable to one person, if everybody has and does their job then everybody shows up. Like I said, we're taken care of at the highest level, so at the end of the day I feel very comfortable and our teammates feel very comfortable doing what we do."

Slovis on the challenges of going to school online ...

"I don't think anyone likes sitting in front of the computer for multiple hours at a time, but hats off to our professors and all our tutors and SAAS staff members for supporting us in all facets of our education. It's a little bit of an adjustment, but they're doing everything they can to accommodate us."

Hufanga on whether he'll look at considering an NFL decision ...

"That's a tough question for me to answer right now because I'm really big in living in the moment, living in the present and doing what coaches are providing us with being able to train. So that's a discussion down the road with our coaches and our family as well, but like I said, I would like to save that for a different time and focus on the present and hopefully get ready for our season."

Slovis on the thought of not playing but watching Alabama opening their season ...

"It would be tough obviously -- you want to be out there -- but if they end up having their season we wish them nothing but the best. Just like us, they're college athletes and I think we want all of them to succeed. Again, I kind of might envy them a little bit being out there, but we wish nothing but the best for those other conferences and those student-athletes playing there."

Hufanga on the same topic ...

"I think he said it great. We love football. That's why we're here and it's what we do, and ultimately just being able to watch football to be able to learn from a different perspective is just as good. So we wish them nothing but the best of luck, but at the end of the day we can learn from them too and see how things are going hopefully we can make a decision how to proceed from there."

Hufanga on how the players are getting through this together ...

"Ultimately, I guess group chats. A lot of us can't really do a lot of hanging out, going to somebody's apartment, playing video games. A lot of the social distancing -- our coaches preach it and we're trying to do our best to keep each and every one of us safe. Learning through meetings and what not, we're trying to do our best. It's a tough time, no doubt, and our players are handling it well. Like I said, people are showing up and doing their best with training and ultimately we're just trying to move and improve toward our goals, as Kedon said."

Slovis ...

"The most difficult thing about this entire process and the regulations we have to deal with is we don't see the entire team. We don't go in the locker room, we don't have those same interactions that we're used to, so communication is definitely a lot more difficult. It's a lot more limited. But again, you have to make the most of that. Your lifting group is a small fraction of what it usually is, you're only seeing a quarter of the team that you're used to. It really gives you a new appreciation for being around those guys all the time, and I'm just kind of waiting for that opportunity to get back in the locker room."

Hufanga on potentially playing two seasons in one calendar year ...

"It's a great question. A lot of certainty and what's going on and what's going to happen. But how I see it is a lot like spring ball. In spring ball it's no joke when we're around Coach Helton. He's going to make sure we're taking care of ... those 15 practices are going to be 15 practices and that's like 15 games when you think about it. Ultimately we're just trying to do our best to get ready for a season, but two seasons in a year is definitely going to be tough on the body, but nothing that we haven't done."

Slovis on whether he's had any personal connection to the virus ...

"I think coming from Arizona I was definitely concerned when that became kind of a hot spot, just with the spread of that and knowing that friends and extended family are getting it. But again, I think we've been doing a great job here and I don't think anyone that I know here since I've been here has gotten it. So again, just very thankful for the precautions we're taking."

Hufanga ...

"For me, personally I live on a farm so I think that's as much social distancing as you can get, so being back home was actually a lot different from being here, very isolated."

Slovis on the movement for college players to unionize ...

"It's really I think exciting to see players across the country use their voice and platform to benefit other student-athletes. I think it's a really complex issue and when we had our meetings as a team talking about it, that's the biggest thing I kind of brought up is there's a lot of things brought up in those demands and it's very complex. I think some form of that is beneficial, there's some things that need further discussion, but I'm proud to see other NCAA athletes use their voice and platform."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News