ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tuesday Footnotes: 'He's one of those five guys'

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Here's the news from Tuesday's practice:

LB Cam Smith (hamstring) did not practice. He's been running the past two days and Clay Helton said a decision will be made "later in the week." While Helton said he's feeling better than he did a week ago, his status for Saturday's game at Utah remains up in the air.

Reuben Peters claimed all the first-team reps at MLB.

LB Palaie "EA" Gaoteote (concussion) was limited to individuals. Helton said he's passing through the protocol quickly and things look much better today than they did Saturday night. He was held out of contact today. Helton mentioned him again later while discussing Cam, noting that he and Peters are ready to step in. This gave me the impression that Cam really might not play.

I asked Helton if Gaoteote would slide over to another spot if Cam were available and Helton intimated he'll strictly be at MLB to backup Cam and prepare for that because of all the responsibility it entails.

"There's a lot of knowledge that goes into that, there's a lot of study that goes into that," Helton said. "It's really hard to play two positions."

Porter Gustin had surgery today to repair his broken ankle and Helton said it went "extremely well." Gustin had both a plate and screw inserted. "They said it was the hardest bones they'd ever seen," Helton joked. Gustin's expected recovery is four months, which would put him really close to the NFL combine.

Helton was somber in discussing the loss of Gustin on and off the field.

"I've been doing it 24 years and I can count on one hand guys you just remember, you'll always remember," Helton said. "That guy, hes the definition of what a Trojan is. ... He's one of those five guys I'm always going to say, man, that's a football player. You can't replace him."

Jordan Iosefa, Kana'i Mauga and Connor Murphy took the majority of reps at outside linebacker. USC practiced in different formations in preparation for a run-heavy Utah offense. Christian Rector was at defensive end, often alongside Marlon Tuipulotu and Malik Dorton.

Jay Tufele, Jacob Lichtenstein and Liam Jimmons rotated behind them on the D-line.

DT Brandon Pili (shoulder) and LB Raymond Scott (finger) were limited.

CB Olaijah Griffin (shoulder), CB Jonathan Lockett (hip), DB Chase Williams (knee) also did not practice.

OTs Clayton Bradley (back) and Bernard Schirmer (neck) returned to practice.

OLB Hunter Echols, after having a relatively large role this past Saturday, primarily worked with the scout team today.

DB Ajene Harris spent part of practice working at safety with the second team.

FWIW, I sensed a lack of urgency from the team, not particularly in how it practiced but how it discussed the Colorado game and Saturday's matchup with Utah. We’ll see whether it means anything. Maybe it’s just me.

We have video interviews with QB JT Daniels, OC Tee Martin, QBs coach Bryan Ellis, WR Michael Pittman and TB Aca'Cedric Ware.

Reactions: TrojanSpecter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News