ADVERTISEMENT

Football USC AD Lynn Swann: 'Do you think anyone’s happy with this season?'

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
I briefly caught up with USC Athletic Director Lynn Swann after USC's loss to Notre Dame. He didn't say much, only offering that he has a plan in place regarding Clay Helton and that he will first communicate it to Helton. Swann added that a press release could be released soon.

When asked for his thoughts on the season, Swann replied, "Do you think anyone’s happy with this season? I really don't."

While that all would seem to suggest a change is coming, Helton again did not talk like someone who will be fired in the coming days.
  • "It will be my task moving forward to make sure this doesn't happen again."
  • "I'm fully confident in the support that I have, not only from Mr. Swann but this administration. They have been terrific to me, our staff and our football team. And I know that we'll get their continued support, and we'll do a better job not only for them but the Trojan family."
  • "As far as personnel and staff changes, I'll sit back and see where we're at and I'll visit with Mr. Swann and do exactly what needs to be done moving forward."
  • (on what Swann told him after the game) "He said, 'Coach, there are better days ahead.'"
  • "Everybody I know will want immediate changes, but right now tomorrow starts the first day of recruiting. And I have the opportunity to sit down with Mr. Swann and discuss everything that we need to get done moving forward, and it's a bunch. We got a big task ahead of us. The changes will be made that need to be made, from a culture standpoint, discipline standpoint, a personnel standpoint and staff standpoint, and that's my job. And we'll put it all together and get moving."
  • "Like I've said, I've always had confidence in the support that I have here, from Mr. Swann and the administration. I feel confident that I'm looking forward to being the head coach here, if given the opportunity. I look forward to doing that and doing the best job that I possibly can. But I'm never going to put words in Mr. Swann's mouth, out of honor and respect to him. I know that he'll release a statement at some point in time, when he feels fit, and we'll move forward from there."

Reactions: USC Ether
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News