ADVERTISEMENT

USC does not renew contract of baseball coach Dan Hubbs

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Here's the news release from USC ….

The contract of Dan Hubbs, USC’s head baseball coach the past seven seasons, will not be renewed when it expires at the end of June, Trojan athletic director Lynn Swann announced today (May 29).

“We want to thank Dan for his effort and service,” said Swann. “Dan is a good man and a good coach and he always will be a great Trojan. However, we felt that after seven years under Dan, our program needed new leadership and direction.

“We have a very successful and proud baseball tradition at USC. We now look forward to the next chapter of USC baseball under new leadership.”

Swann said that USC will begin an immediate nationwide search for Hubbs’ replacement.

Hubbs posted a 188-200-1 overall record in his seven seasons (2013-19) guiding the Trojans, with one NCAA post-season appearance and two Top 4 Pac-12 finishes. His 2019 Trojans went 25-29-1 overall and finished seventh in the Pac-12 at 13-15-1.

Hubbs was USC’s associate head coach in 2012 after spending the previous 12 years (2000-11) as the pitching coach at California.

He was a three-year (1991-93) letterman pitcher at USC and still ranks in the school’s career Top 10 in saves and strikeouts per inning. He had a seven-year (1993-99) minor league career in the Dodgers and Phillies organizations.

“Returning to USC as its head coach was an amazing experience and I am grateful for all the opportunities I have had here the last seven years,” said Hubbs. “I want to thank all the players and alumni for their support. Seeing my players’ success on the field, in the classroom and in their own lives after they left USC was always my greatest reward. I look forward to watching their continued success as I remain part of the Trojan Family.”

The USC baseball program is the winningest in college history, with 12 College World Series titles (most recently in 1998) and 114 major leaguers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.