ADVERTISEMENT

Was that offensive to you?

TrojanGiftHorse

Legend
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2006
OK, like most of you, I was underwhelmed with USC's offensive performance today (this despite the fact that they put up 38 points). When you look around college football, many of the top teams scored much less than that, but it seems that no matter what the USC offense does right now, we are not satisfied. So what is wrong?

First, let's look at what some of the Top-25 teams put up today:
  • Michigan 10
  • Alabama 27
  • Clemson 28
  • Penn State 31
  • VA Tech 23
  • ND 33
  • Etc.
Many of those scores would send USC fans to the Trojan Talk message board with torches and pitchforks, yet those scores are being put up by some of the other top teams.

Are we spoiled by last year? Does it upset us if a sophomore quarterback no longer plays like the best signal caller to have ever set foot on campus? Are we enraged that multiple freshman and otherwise green offensive linemen don't block like Khalil, Tuerk, etc.? Are we exasperated if the freshman wide receivers aren't as disciplined as Smith-Schuster, Rogers, and Woods, and don't compete as well for the ball? We would gleefully wish such calamity as we are suffering now (with injuries and inexperience) upon our worst enemy (UCLA), yet the team's failure to surpass 38 points leaves us all vexed and disillusioned.

I feel that most of us are in grave danger of not enjoying the season with the all of the missed expectations. Are those expectations realistic? I know that there are coaching issues; I myself have called for some changes. I see where the team struggles, yet are we asking too much of the "babes" who are occupying our starting lineup?

When you think back to last year, was the team really as good as we think that they were? Was Sam Darnold really a QB with perfect mechanics who stepped into his throws and ran through all of his progressions? I tend to think that he was not (despite the success that the team had). The new year has ushered out some key experienced personnel and introduced the difficulties of having "tape" and having been scouted and targeted by every opponent.

I guess that what I am asking is that we all recallibrate our expectations so that we can just enjoy the football and root for the kids (at least until the end of the season, when it's more realistic that some changes to the staff could be made).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News