ADVERTISEMENT

What I've been told about a DB target...

Chris Swanson

War Daddy
Jun 20, 2013
I spoke to someone I trust about Anaheim Servite HS DB Julius Irvin. I was told Irvin isn't too focused on the recruiting process right now because of his recent family emergency. This family emergency is a very big deal and a life changing event. I'll leave it there.

That being said, Irvin still has a decision to make. He will sign in February and has one official visit left if he wants to take it. There's a possibility that could happen.

Irvin has already been to four of his top 5 schools on official visits, so there's a possibility his final visit will be to USC. I was also told there's a chance he visits a school outside of his top 5 (Florida could be a school to watch as the Gators offered him a scholarship in late December).

This person I talked to said, in his estimation, it's currently a Notre Dame, USC and Washington battle. But he believes another team could possibly emerge. It's worth noting that there are some around Irvin who prefer Utah (apparently the official visit was the most impressive by far.)

This person also said that while Irvin hasn't made a decision, he would guess USC and Washington before Notre Dame. He believes Washington is a serious dark horse candidate that too many people are counting out. He believes Washington is right there with the Trojans and both are likely ahead of Notre Dame. But it wouldn't be a shock at all if the Irish pulled it off and got Irvin.

When I asked if Irvin's family emergency could factor into him staying in Southern California and attending USC, I was told it definitely could. It's a serious enough matter that it could, without question, keep Irvin at home and put him in cardinal and gold.

But I was also told, again, that Irvin's family still isn't happy with how USC has recruited him recently. Irvin was set to sign during the early period and the Trojan coaching staff told him to hold off.

"They screwed up," this source said. "If they let him sign early, it would be over and we all know he would have picked USC."

There's also concerns outside of how USC recruited him. There are some around Irvin that aren't impressed with the product the Trojans have put on the field this season. The recent Cotton Bowl was just more evidence to those around him that have doubts.

I'll you all updated if I hear anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News