ADVERTISEMENT

What's happening with Irvin, USC and Washington...

Chris Swanson

War Daddy
Jun 20, 2013
I've been told by most everyone I've asked that Anaheim, Calif. Servite HS DB Julius Irvin is expected to commit to Washington now.

Although Washington has been in serious contention for a long time, this was a bit of a late surprise for those around Irvin. USC has been a favorite school for the family and for him since well before he was a recruited football prospect.

What I've been told over and over again when asked about Irvin and USC is that he didn't feel like he was prioritized by the Trojans the way he should have been. He wanted to sign with USC in the early signing period and was told to hold off. That happened while being treated like a top priority by other prestigious football schools throughout his time being recruited. He and his family also watched the way USC recruited their friend, Amon-Ra St. Brown, and felt there was a difference. That feeling of not being a top priority turned out to be an issue for Irvin and his family. There's also uncertainty about how many scholarships USC will actually use in this class, which could turn out to be an issue for anyone who's unsigned and not named JT Daniels and Amon-Ra St. Brown.

There had been talk of Irvin's feelings recently but many around the family dismissed it because of how high USC stood for him and his family back in December. Some still believe Irvin might not be totally finished with his choice. He's been known to change his mind, it's been brought up by everyone I talk to about him. If the Trojans tell him he's a priority on signing day and obviously have a spot open for him, who know's what will happen?

Right now, he's apparently saying he favors Washington. The Huskies are currently on a great run with Chris Petersen and have a recent history of producing great defenses and NFL players. Irvin is also impressed with Washington's academics. He's been looking hard into that side of things recently. He also has a great bond with Jimmy Lake. So expect Irvin to pick the Huskies.

My take for USC is that the class still has the potential to be too big for the number of scholarships available. This will only really hurt USC if the Trojans can't close with the defensive backs. That being said, Irvin was probably the third best player in the Trinity League this year and whoever gets him is getting a great one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News