ADVERTISEMENT

Football Why did USC fire BKU?

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Kenechi Udeze's exit is a stunning development, and I believe a huge mistake. He was not only one of the better recruiters on staff (and there aren't many) but also one of the few you could see improvement in. USC lost a good one.

I just spoke with BKU and he said he was literally at the airport and about to fly to Arizona for a home visit with 4-star DE Ty Robinson when he was called to come to campus, at which point he learned he was no longer on staff. He was given no explanation for why a change was being made, just that USC was moving in a different direction.

Though caught off guard by the decision, he had nothing bad to say about anyone. He just feels like a scapegoat.

I know he wasn't Clancy Pendergast's favorite assistant, and he had to fight tooth and nail just to coach from the sidelines this year. That didn't even last, as Udeze was forced to return to the coaches' box for the UCLA game. The Bruins, you'll remember, proceeded to run for 318 yards, the second-highest total against USC in Pendergast's four seasons as the DC.

I take Udeze's release to mean Pendergast will be the DC in 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News