1. First-half schedule
  2. Time for the offense to gel
  3. Harrell's relative youth in coaching
  4. Track record of air raid offenses in generating ground production
  5. Inexperienced secondary
  6. The predictability and conservativeness of Clancy's D
Here are the main reasons for optimism:
  • I'Offense
    • This OC was an expert practitioner in the system that he is now implementing at USC.
    • The system brings a cohesive attack strategy that probes the entire defense and takes what the defense is giving. (No longer are we just flashing a disjointed collection of plays that we may not have sufficiently practiced and cannot execute well.)
    • The simplification should allow all of the players to understand the key objectives of each play and master the execution and realization of those objectives.
      • This will yield huge benefits especially for the offensive line, which suffered greatly from confusion and missed assignments over the last couple of years.
      • The benefits also extend to the receivers, who should be better able to understand how to better manipulate the defense to help the play succeed ("get to grass").
      • Of course, the looks for the QB are also simplified, and with a smart player J.T. Daniels, the impact is multiplied.
    • The pace of the offense and quickly of decision-making which is demanded will benefit the offensive line greatly.
    • The offensive coaching has improved at practically every position (especially at offensive line).
  • Defense
    • The defensive line is very, very good! These guys are big, athletic, and have great motors. It all starts up front, folks!
    • Elsewhere on defense, we have a ton of play makers (PG, Hufanga, PM, OG, etc.)
  • Special teams - The punter! We are going to be able to flip the field when the offense doesn't produce. This is a not-small factor.
I'm predicting (hoping for) 9-3 with an outside chance at 10-2. I think our losses come from the BYU and ND match-ups.

Fight on!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News