ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick Hits/Footnotes - Day 6 (8/9)

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
USC practiced in the Coliseum for the first time in about a year. It was in shells and was understandably milder than Wednesday's scrimmage. I thought it was pretty competitive nonetheless.

We got our first look at the development of the Scholarship Tower. I snapped a photo and it accompanies this story on the homepage. Curious to know what you guys think of it. (The tower, not my photo.) This was also our first venture on the new field turf. Was nice and soft. Had much more of a grass feel than a track one.

Here's the news rundown from today:

A few players did not practice, presumably because of injuries suffered in the scrimmage.

Freshman LB Palaie Gaoteote was sidelined with a knee injury and will have an MRI. Sporting a sleeve on his right knee, he stood in the deep middle behind the defense during 11-on-11s and took mental reps. Don't think I've seen a lot of injured guys do that, especially freshmen.

WR Michael Pittman did not finish Thursday's practice after suffering an AC sprain. Those typically keep guys out for just a day or two.

LB John Houston was pulled after banging knees with Ced Ware.

LB Levi Jones, who had just returned Wednesday after being out with chest issues, was out with an ankle injury.

CB Chase Williams, who went down briefly during the scrimmage, was out.

DL Jacob Lichtenstein was sidelined because of a calf muscle.

LB Cam Smith (hamstring), S Ykili Ross (hamstring) and RT Chuma Edoga (hip) remained out.

QB JT Daniels is wearing a glove on his non-throwing hand as a precaution because of a bent fingernail.

I asked Clay Helton if, after reviewing film from the scrimmage, any of the three quarterbacks stood out to him. Was particularly curious to hear his answer because it at least seemed like it was Sears' day, or that he had a pretty good one. Not the biggest deal -- each QB has his days. But we haven't heard Helton single Sears out much, despite what I'd consider an encouraging start to training camp for the redshirt freshman. Some observers think he's been better than JT Daniels. I'd say they've probably been about even.

Anyway, I made sure not to lead Helton with my question and his response was basically that all of them made quick decisions Wednesday (and Thursday) and he was proud of them as a whole. I could totally be reading too much into this, but I don't think it's a good sign for Sears that when he appears to be a notch above his peers on a given day it's not verified by the staff. We've definitely heard glowing reviews for Daniels already in his brief tenure.

Helton praised WR Tyler Vaughns for building his strength over the past year and adding necessary weight. He's at about 190 pounds.

1-on-1s (WRs vs. DBs):
  • Josh Imatorbhebe beats Olaijah Griffin on a post
  • Isaac Taylor-Stuart covers Amon Ra St. Brown's fade route well and secures an INT
  • Velus Jones beats Biggie Marshall inside
  • Isaiah Langley forces an incompletion to Vaughns
  • Michael Pittman beats Olaijah Griffin inside
  • Devon William beats Langley on a slant -- great route, great separation
  • Biggie breaks up a post to Trevon Sidney
  • Josh Imatorbhebe high points the ball over Ajene Harris in the back corner of the end zone
  • Greg Johnson covers Tyler Vaughns on an incomplete fade route
  • Keyshawn Young beats Griffin on a slant
  • Biggie breaks up a fade to Pittman
  • St. Brown shakes Langley badly for an easy catch
  • Velus beats Marvell Tell on a short out
  • Imatorbhebe catches a fade over Griffin
  • Taylor-Stuart forces an incompletion on a fade to Devon Williams
  • Sidney catches a slant against Bubba Bolden
  • Vaughns catches a slant against Johnson
  • Young catches a short arrow route against Alene
  • Biggie breaks up a slant to Imatorbhebe
  • Randal Grimes makes an outstanding catch in the back of the end zone over Langley, leaping over the senior CB
  • Isaiah Pola-Mao nearly intercepts a pass to Sidney downfield
11-on-11s:
Daniels got the majority of first-team reps and overall reps. As I’ve mentioned before, the QBs are rotating in that regard each day, although I wonder if that will continue past Saturday's scrimmage. This can't go on for all of camp. Right?

While Daniels was lauded early in camp for pinpoint precision, his accuracy has been a bit erratic of late. Very hit or miss, I'd say. Today he threw behind an open Ware in the flats and underthrew Tyler Petite. Both were plays he should (and I'm guessing will) make. He also had a pass batted behind the line by Juliano Falaniko and he made a risky throw into double coverage to St. Brown that was fortunate to not be picked off. He's gonna make some of those as well.

On the flip side, Daniels connected with Imatorbhebhe on a slant for a first down. Imatorbhebhe did a nice job after the catch, which is when he's at his best. Daniels fired a pass outside to Vaughns for a decent chunk. I'd call that easy money. He found walk-on Matt Nyman for a sizable gain. He then hit Velus open coming off a curl but it was dropped. And he threw a beautiful ball downfield that St. Brown laid out for but just couldn't hang onto. Would have been six and would have been the play of camp.

USC barely ran during its extended team period. During my conversation with Neil Callaway, he noted that they're throwing more than they have in the past. I asked why that was, assuming it's because of the young QBs, but he wouldn't tell me. But I agree that there's been a larger emphasis on the passing game. I only charted a few runs today, including a long gain from Ware, who bounced off Johnson in the process, and a short gain for Stephen Carr.

Fink was lucky to not be picked off by Langley on an underthrown deep ball to Vaughns, though Vaughns made an impressive adjustment and nearly turned the play into a big gain. Fink's next two throws also fell incomplete but they should be put into context. The first should have been a TD but went through Velus' hands. Fink put just the right amount of air under it and placed it perfectly over Velus' shoulder. One of the best throws I've seen him make. A play later, Fink surveyed the D and saw a window with Imatorbhebhe. He made a strong throw that proved to be a bit high but it was good in that it wouldn't be picked off and the receiver had a chance to make a play on it. Definitely progress, though his rep count has quietly taken a hit recently.

Sears was again the best of the three QBs today, IMO. His first pass was a 40-yard TD to St. Brown that was thrown comfortably over the top of the defense while skillfully leading St. Brown, who separated himself late in the route. (Tajwar called a touchdown once he saw Sears release it.) After misplaying a snap -- this wasn't on Toa Lobendahn -- Sears regrouped and targeted Imatorbhebhe down the middle of the field. I thought it was catchable, but it required Imatorbhebhe to slightly break from his route a little and curl inside. He didn't, so the pass fell incomplete. That was about it for Sears, who otherwise hit Ware, Carr and Velus on screens and took a couple sacks. He had virtually no time on either one.

Defensive highlights include sacks from Jordan Iosefa, Brandon Pili and Raymond Scott. (Liam Jimmons nearly had another one.) Iosefa also sniffed out a screen to Imatorbhebhe behind the line of scrimmage. Love the way Iosefa is playing right now. Sometimes I think he's just as good, if not better, inside. Clancy Pendergast has corroborated this point in the past while stating he needs him outside more. Talanoa Hufanga also had a great stop on a receiver screen.

If you’re wondering, St. Brown is still primarily lining up outside. I was told before training camp that this would be the case. I really only mention it because I am convinced that he is already the third best receiver on the team. So I am surprised that he’s not getting more work in the slot. It was a mild upset that he didn’t come down with the bomb from Daniel. I asked Helton about it afterward and he concurred, explaining how most every freshman gets big-eyes the first time they practice in the Coliseum. St. Brown looked like he’d been playing there for years.

"He's going to play a lot, early," OC Tee Martin said afterward.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that right guard Andrew Vorhees absolutely trucked a defender on a screen that ultimately didn't go anywhere. Was a welcome sight regardless.

The Trojans will be back at Howard Jones on Friday and then back in the Coliseum on Saturday for a scrimmage that Helton said would be on par with a half of football.

I'll post interviews with Callaway, Bryan Ellis and Vaughns once we can get them transcribed, and Tajwar has the QB grades.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News