ADVERTISEMENT

Clay Helton vs Legendary Coaches

TrojanKevin1

Red Shirt
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2015
Ave!

Talk, talk, talk, blah, blah, blah, whatever.

As I have mentioned before, I’ve been a Trojan fan since I was 13 years old, when John McKay was HC and Mike Garrett was a player. Yikes!

All the ups with HC John Mac, Jolly John and PC and the down years with Larry Smith, curse his memory.

Back in those days of legendary coaches such as Ara Parseghian (Notre Dame), Darrell Royal (Texas), Bear Bryant (Alabama), and Woody Hayes (Ohio State), God bless their memories, each of these coaches began with bad teams in disarray.

Ara Parseghian – HC 1964- 1973. He took the reins in 1964 with a team that went 2-7 the previous year. That year he promoted a lowly and disregarded QB John Huarte, (the 1st Heisman Trophy Winner from Mater Dei HS and QB USC Matt Leinart was the 2nd) and receiver Jack Snow. That year the ‘Domer’s went undefeated until the Trojans knocked them off 20–17 in the final minutes. Sweet! Two years later he coached the Irish to the National Championship. Led by senior quarterback Joe Theisman, the team finished second in the polls in 1970 and avenged its Cotton Bowl loss, defeating the Longhorns 24–11 in an upset. In 1973, Parseghian had a perfect season and won a second national championship, topped off by a 24–23 win over Alabama. Mater Dei is one of only two high schools in America that has produced two Heisman Trophy winners.) won the award in 2004 after completing a record-setting career at USC.

Best quote – After his retirement, when asked about what he was looking forward to: “Never seeing that goddamn horse again!” = Traveler.

Darrell Royal – HC 1956-1976. His 1st team went 1-9. With Royal at the helm, Texas won the school's first three undisputed national championships (1963, 1969 and 1970), won or shared 11 the now defunct Southwest Conference Championships, and made 16 bowl appearances. His 1963 and 1970 teams finished the season undefeated and untied—something no Longhorn team would do again until 2005.

Best quote - "You've got to think lucky. If you fall into a mud hole, check your back pocket—you might have caught a fish."

Bear Bryant – HC 1958 – 1983. After winning a combined four games in the three years prior to Bryant's arrival, the Tide went 5–4–1 in Bryant's 1st season. The next year, in 1959, Alabama beat Auburn and appeared in a bowl game, the first time either had happened in the last six years. In 1961, under his leadership, went 11–0 to claim the national championship. The next three years (1962–64) featured Joe Namath quarterback. Bryant coached at Alabama for 25 years, winning six national titles (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, and 1979) and thirteen SEC championships. His record as a coach was 323-85-17.

Best Quote - “If a man is a quitter, I’d rather find out in practice than in a game. I ask for all a player has so I’ll know later what I can expect.”

Woody Hayes – 1948-1978. The 1947 team finished with a 2–6–1 record, failing to beat Michigan for the third straight season and was outscored, 60–150, by opponents on the season. Hayes led his teams to a 205–61–10 record (.761), including three consensus national championships (1954, 1957 and 1968), two other non-consensus national titles (1961 and 1970). He had a RB named Archie Griffin, a two-time Heisman Trophy winner.

Best Quote – “There’s nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.”

Not sure if you are seeing a pattern here but the gist is that each of these awesome coaches began with a bad team and that they coached their teams for many years. Each of these coaches were hired in desperation and all had super-skilled QBs and RBs, just waiting in the wings.

Now, I’m not comparing HC CH to any of these coaches, but like Woody said: “There’s nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.” Think last year vs Alabama.

Clay Helton and all the players remember that humiliating loss.

To paraphrase General Patton; “Now, an army is a team. It lives, eats, sleeps, fights as a team. This individuality stuff is a bunch of crap. The bilious bastards who write that stuff about individuality in the LA Times don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating. Now, we have the finest food and equipment, the best spirit, and the best players in the world. You know, by God, I pity those poor Stanford, Irish, and UCLA bastards we're going up against, by God, I do.”

HC Clay Helton, like General Patton, now has the perfect instrument, coaches, and players to rise to ultimate victory.

I suggest that you give HC CH the time to make it happen…

And Always Fight On!

Vale!

Kevin

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News