ADVERTISEMENT

Football Lincoln Riley Thursday Zoom (Utah State week)

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
Again, apologies on the delay here. Had something come up that I had to handle this afternoon.

What is Mason Cobb's status and if he's unable to go how does that change Eric Gentry's role?

"Yeah, Mason's been limited for us this week, hasn't been a full participant at practice, will be questionable for the game. We'll just kind of see how he moves around today, and obviously we've got a little bit of extra time for recovery now with the later kick. We'll see. It'll be close. Yeah, if he's not able to go, we still have Eric and Easton obviously, that next group of guys -- Desmon Stephens, Raesjon, Newby, Madden, that group. It would be a combination of all of those guys if Mason is not able to go. Hopefully he can, but if he can't it'll be exciting to see some of those guys get an opportunity."

You mentioned the importance of establishing the run game last week, what are your thoughts on how to get more consistent there and what you need to see from the O-line?

"We had a lot of just really solid plays on it. Obviously, some of the best ones were there at the end. We had a couple of explosive runs, which was great. We had a couple that we felt we had a little bit more there, an opportunity for a few more explosives in the game, but I thought we were pretty patient with it just with the way the game unfolded. I thought it got better as the game went on, and yeah, that will continue to be a work in progress there in terms of getting our guys on the same page with the offensive line, the backs, I think getting a feel for what our guys do well and settling into the game and playing a little bit more consistent there. But yeah, a lot to build on -- a lot of good, a challenging defensive front we played against. A lot of positives, certainly kind of like the rest of the team, some things that still need to be cleaned up if we're going to run the ball this season the way we feel we can."

Any other injuries and do you have an update on the captains for this week?

"No other injury designations. We'll name those on our Fridays before the game, so don't have any to announce right now."

Bear Alexander has shown flashes -- what do you need to see more from him to play up to his ceiling more consistently?

"I don't think we need to see any more -- just got to keep competing, keep playing, keep getting better. He did some really good things in the game the other night, he's had a really good week of practice. We've got a handful of guys there at those interior positions that we want to play. That's going to be based on matchups, that's going to be based on the way the game flows, that's going to be based on obviously how guys practice and how they continue to improve and elevate their games. I would put all of those interior guys in that bucket right now. Bear's done some really good things. I feel like he's really starting to get settled in with what we're doing defensively. He missed the spring, I think he's improving a lot as a player and I'm excited about his progress. So yeah, just kind of the normal ebbs and flows of the season, but I think he's on a good track right now."

Saturday is the first time in many years that Miller Moss has started a game on consecutive weekends. What growth do you expect from him?

"I think he'll just continue to grow being in all these different situations that these games are going to present. I mean, in the games he's played in he's been in some situations, he's handled obviously most of them very, very well, but that's going to continue to evolve as you get into all these different ones. So I think every rep for him, every situation in a game and different matchup is just another chance to learn and to continue to grow. And then I think especially this time of year you're always learning the guys around you, playing more ball with this offensive line, with these backs, with these tight ends, with these wideouts. You're learning all of their ways of doing things -- how do you throw this ball to this guy, what's the exchange feel like with this back vs. that back. So I think you're always as a quarterback trying to learn your team, especially early in the year. So yeah, lot of growth for him ahead. I don't know that it's always going to be measured in stats or all the things the outside people would see -- more I think running the group and handling all the different situations and challenges that come our way."

Your top passer, rusher and receivers were all fourth year guys or older Sunday, what does that say to you?

"It's important. It's not a luxury that we've had in large part, especially these first couple. So you're starting to get a team of guys that have developed -- and not just older players. the majority of those guys, not all, the majority of those guys are older players that have now been with us a little bit. And that matters. It does. It matters in big-time games, it matters in clutch situations where these guys have got years stacked of experience, of confidence, or reps that they can go lean on in those moments. That's why we've talked about this big picture transition more and more away from the portal and more and more to becoming a truly developmental program that we want to be, and that's why you want it. Anytime you can have experienced guys, and the bonus is experienced guys at your place that have gotten their experience with you, the more of that you have the better. We're definitely taking some strides there as a program, and I thought that showed up on Sunday. There wasn't many times you felt like we had a ton of inexperience on the field. A little bit here and there, but by and large a good bit of experience out there."

How has Desman Stephens progressed so far?

"We've been impressed, really from spring on. He's kind of felt like he's belonged the entire time. He hasn't looked like a true freshman in terms of the way he competes. He's learned our defense fast, and we've got a lot of confidence in him. He'll have opportunities that are going to pop up more that he's going to create by continuing to improve as this year goes on, but yeah, he's certainly a guy you look at and can envision him -- he's going to have a bright future here. I think if he stays on track and stays hungry and keeps improving, we can all see that. But he's certainly going to have an ability to impact this team right now, so I'm looking forward to hopefully getting some of these opportunities to play in some games and get to really show it because there is a real talent there that you're pretty excited about because he's a pretty mature competitor for his age and he's physically pretty mature. He has the tools capable of making an impact early on."

How much more do you enjoy a game like LSU than a blowout win, and did the team do anything special for your birthday?

"I haven't seen them yet so hopefully nothing crazy -- hopefully we just have a good practice. I'll take that as a good birthday present. Yeah, there's obviously positives of both of the types of games. I think if I had to pick I would pick a game like that that comes down to it. I think that's what you work hard to prepare for. Certainly never disappointed if we separate [early] and play a bunch of guys -- that's great. Wins are wins, they're all pretty good, but yeah, I think to get in those moments in tough games where you've got to go find a way and you've got to play four full quarters, you've got to be able to play complementary ball, you've got to be able to execute in critical situations on all sides, that's what you do it for as a competitor. Those are definitely the ones you remember the most."

Reactions: charmac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.