ADVERTISEMENT

Football On USC's search for a strength coach...

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
It's been asked whether USC's new strength coach will only be responsible for football. I've checked on that and, no, Ivan Lewis' replacement will be the head strength and conditioning coach for all of USC athletics.

That is why Torre Becton, who knew what Lewis was making, was put off by being offered roughly half of Lewis' salary (while also not being allowed to bring his assistants) and ultimately passed. For further context of the job, it should be noted that Clay Helton is handling the interviews and making the hire because USC's head strength coach is predominantly focused on football. Part of the job is to oversee a staff that includes a few coaches dedicated to football, and others assigned to the other sports. The way it was explained to me, the strength coach not having "football" in his official title is merely semantics.

As for who it will be, I don't have any good leads presently. I've checked with multiple sources and there isn't a name right now. I also got the vibe from Helton's tenor the other day when discussing the search that USC isn't especially close to hiring someone. His statement read like a Craigslist posting. (Does anyone still use Craigslist?) As it stands, USC has assistant strength coach Keith Belton running its offseason workouts (per Joey Kaufman of the OC Register).

Belton, who was brought to USC by Steve Sarkisian in 2014, returned to USC in 2017 after directing UNLV's strength program for two years. It's my understanding that he's not in the running for the head job at this time. Spring practice is less than five weeks away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News