ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tuesday Footnotes: The Other Guys

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Not everything was about Clay Helton today. Here's the news that wasn't Helton-related:

Coach Clay Helton confirmed what I reported Monday evening -- sophomore linebacker Levi Jones is no longer on the team. Helton said Jones was suspended for the Cal game because of a team rules violation but declined any further comment. Sources tell me the violation occurred during the Oregon State trip and Jones was going to be subject to a suspension for multiple weeks and thus decided to leave the program.

Also, ICYMI, I learned Tuesday that Jones was arrested in the summer for public intoxication in Pasadena. Sources informed me that Jones had repeatedly been disciplined since arriving on campus last summer and that he considered transferring before this season.

WR Michael Pittman (shoulder) returned to practice. He will be held out of contact periods but will play Saturday.

C Toa Lobendahn practiced through an ankle injury that he suffered against Cal.

TB Vavae Malepeai (ankle) and TB Aca'Cedric Ware (shoulder) were limited. Ware suffered a shoulder sprain, presumably on the bad snap by Lobendahn. Ware said the collision he endured while chasing the ball in the end zone knocked the wind out of him.

RT Chuma Edoga (knee), DT Brandon Pili (ankle) and DL Lichtenstein (shoulder) did not practice.

QB Matt Fink (ribs) increased his activity. QBs coach Bryan Ellis said if Fink is cleared he will be the backup quarterback this week.

Spike Lee attended practice for who knows what reason, spending much of the time in lockstep with Lynn Swann.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News