ADVERTISEMENT

Football Tuesday practice report: Caleb Tremblay 'next man up' at DE, matchup thoughts and more

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
When Caleb Tremblay was a coveted 4-star defensive lineman coming out of the JUCO ranks up in Sacramento, this is the kind of opportunity he dreamed about -- specifically.

"USC was my dream school out of junior college. They were the only one place I wanted to go to so when I got that offer I had to take it no matter what. So this is exciting," Tremblay said Tuesday after practice.

The redshirt junior is now positioned as USC's likely top defensive end this week, with freshman starter Drake Jackson out indefinitely with a high-ankle sprain and redshirt senior starter Christian Rector still not practicing after the staff decided he needed to fully rest the ankle injury he had been playing through previously.

So, yeah, this is a big moment for Tremblay and one he's patiently waited for after redshirting in his first season at USC last year.

But this is not the time for him to put it all into perspective.

"It's really exciting, but I just don't really want to think about it too much like that. I just want to prepare like I've always prepared and when I'm on the field just execute my job," he said.

That's all the USC coaches want him to do too. After beating Arizona last week with four defensive starters out at kickoff and two more lost during the course of play, the Trojans are again depleted as they go through a short week before a road game at Colorado on Friday night.

Jackson, as mentioned, is out. All indications are the Rector needs more time as well, as he has not practiced this week after also sitting out last week. Star safety Talanoa Hufanga is out following a shoulder dislocation. And linebacker Palaie Gaoteote remains sidelined and in a walking boot with his ankle sprain.

The focus last week was on filling voids in the secondary, which the Trojans did fine, and that unit is adding starters back. Cornerback Olaijah Griffin (back) and nickel Greg Johnson (shoulder) were active in the portion of practice open to reporters Tuesday and would seem on track to play. (Coach Clay Helton will give an official update on Wednesday). And Chase Williams, who will fill in for Hufanga, has played a lot already this season as the Trojans' utility DB.

At linebacker, sophomore Kana'i Mauga filled in admirably for Gaoteote last week with a team-high 13 tackles, a forced fumble, an interception, 2 tackles for loss and a sack.

So the position of intrigue this week is the defensive line and how the Trojans respond with both top DEs out for a full game.

"I guess we keep hearing the [phrase] 'Next man up,' and that's the truth," DL coach Chad Kauha'aha'a said. "The good thing is we've got Caleb Tremblay, we've got Connor Murphy and Nick Figueroa came in and had a really good game. He was productive, he knew what he was doing and that paid off because we practiced him at end in the spring. ... Right now Caleb's got the lead because he's got the most experience playing [time] wise, but Nick and Connor's pushing him. Those are good football players."

What also helps the situation a little, Kauha'aha'a explained, is that USC will largely be lining up with only one defensive end, with an outside linebacker up on the line on the other side.

He had been asked if that might be a move the Trojans make in response to the injuries to Jackson and Rector and he clarified that it would have been the plan regardless.

"Right now we're facing offenses that we would be in that package anyway. We wouldn't have the two defensive ends, so even if I had Christian and Drake it would be a rotation between those two guys with the outside linebackers because of the guys that we're seeing right now," he said.

That helps minimize the hit to the DE depth, but the Trojans still need production at that spot.

And fortunately, Tremblay has not only played a significant amount already this fall -- he's played significantly well.

He actually ranks as the highest-graded USC defensive player for the season by PFF College at a 79.9 over 128 snaps. (On PFF's scale, 70-79 is considered an above-average starter and 80 and above is considered a standout).

Tremblay tied a season-high with 27 snaps on Saturday vs. Arizona and has had a pretty steady role overall (at least 14 snaps in each of the last six games). He hasn't delivered overwhelming stats (7 tackles, 1.5 tackles for loss, a half sack), but both the PFF College analysis and the feedback from USC's coaches has been strong as he's gotten work both on the interior of the line and at end.

"He gives us some juice out there. He's getting better and better -- he probably played his best game against Arizona," defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast said.

Said Kauha'aha'a: "He's very active in the pass rush, he's very disruptive. ... He's not getting the sacks, but he sure is causing a lot of stress on linemen because of his movement. He's an athletic dude, we play him inside, and then when we play him outside he's a really good pass rusher so he's been disruptive off the edge flushing quarterbacks getting them out. So we're pleased with that."

Tremblay, who came to USC from American River College in Sacramento, played in USC's first three games last season before a sprained knee sidelined him and made it an easy decision to redshirt him.

He said he's learned how to protect his body better and usually gets in the training room for two sessions a day for maintenance from the wear and tear of the season.

He said his focus all season has been to simply take advantage of his opportunities, and it looks like he'll have a big one Saturday.

"I'm going to just do my job and be ready for anything," he said. "They have me running with the 1st right now so I'm just going to be prepared for anything."

Olaijah Griffin practices again

Griffin, the impressive sophomore cornerback, spoke like a guy fully intending to play Friday night after sitting out the last game due to his continued battle with a bulging disc in his back.

Specifically, he was asked about the matchup with Colorado receiver Laviska Shenault.

"Shoot, it's going to be a good matchup. He's a very good player. He's supposed to be a first-round receiver. I'm going to try to show him I'm a first-round DB. It's going to be a good game," Griffin said.

Mindset and discipline

Pendergast acknowledged USC's mounting defensive injury toll is "a concern obviously," but he noted how the Trojans fared well last weekend with key players out and why the plan doesn't change.

"The guys have gotten good reps in practices in the weeks leading up until now. We don't change a lot -- we don't say, hey, this is a brand new call. It's kind of like we've got our menu we're going to pick from, we're going to pull from. So whether it's a starter or backup guys they're familiar with the calls," he said.

Again, despite the injuries, there isn't anyone new to the defense this week.

Tremblay has a played a good amount of snaps. Reshirt sophomore Hunter Echols would be the top option at outside linebacker and has played 160 snaps (including a season-high 46 vs. Arizona). They'll be flanking two stalwarts up front in defensive tackles Jay Tufele and Marlon Tuipulotu.

Mauga had a breakout game at linebacker last weekend while next to him John Houston had his best performance of the season (8 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and a fumble recovery).

And in the secondary, USC should have its rotation at corner between Griffin, Taylor-Stuart and Chris Steele. Whatever Greg Johnson's status is, freshman Max Williams has proven he can handle the workload at nickel. And Chase Williams, as noted, has already played significant snaps at both safety spots, as he'll now pair with starter Isaiah Pola-Mao.

"Our coaches preach that. When someone goes down, we're not depressed about it. It's time, next man is up," Echols said. "In this case there's going to be some guys who have to step up, including myself, and that's what we're going to do. We're going to go into Colorado, we can't hang our face because we've got some of our best guys out. We've going to have to continue to go out there and show who we are. We are USC, at USC we have depth here and [we have] to show that depth Friday."

As for Echols, he had 0 tackles and 1 pass break-up despite the larger role last weekend. For the season he has 9 tackles and 1.5 sacks, but his physical abilities would suggest there is greater potential in him.

"I do have some things I need to work on. I need to be more consistent and have a bigger motor out there when I'm rushing the passer," he said. "... After the first move if it doesn't work, I've got to continue to have more moves, more things in my arsenal that's going to help me get to the quarterback."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.