ADVERTISEMENT

Football USC player in transfer portal could return

Adam Maya

Alumni
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Velus Jones might be coming back to USC.

Multiple sources have told me the redshirt junior wide receiver could be rejoining the football team this summer. Jones left the program just before spring practice commenced and entered the transfer portal. He then visited a few programs, including Tennessee, Auburn and Western Kentucky, but has yet to commit anywhere during this three-month period.

I was told he was initially planning to transfer to Tennessee but that fell through. Now I'm getting word that he has had recent discussions with the USC staff about playing for the Trojans again. Jones spent a significant portion of the spring at home in Alabama. Michael Pittman said on the Trojan Talk podcast two weeks ago that Jones would be returning to Los Angeles for summer school, while noting he's been recruiting his fellow Class of 2016 signee to return.

"I'm trying to get Velus back because I feel like he can be dangerous in this offense," Pittman said.

Jones was a part-time starter last season, but he was backing up Amon-Ra St. Brown at the slot position by the end of the year. He set career highs in catches (24) and receiving yards (266) and scored his first touchdown in 2018. He's averaged 23.9 yards on kickoff returns the past two seasons.

USC currently has eight scholarship receivers on its roster, which doesn't include the pending transfer of Bru McCoy, who's expected to be ineligible this season. Four of the active wideouts are true freshman.

We'll be sure to follow up on Jones when we're able to confirm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News