ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting 2020 DB recruiting update

Ryan Young

Jun 27, 2018
USC saw another top DB target commit elsewhere Saturday as 4-star CB Jacobe Covington (Saguaro HS/Scottsdale, Ariz.) announced his pledge to Washington.

And then today the Huskies added 3-star Lawndale HS CB Makell Esteen, who was a bit further down USC's list but a guy the Trojans were nonetheless keeping tabs on as this recruiting cycle plays out.

The Trojans are only taking 2-3 defensive backs in this class, but they don't have any presently committed and options are dwindling. So who's left?

Leaving aside USC's hopes of flipping 5-star LSU CB commit Elias Ricks, here are the names on the Trojans' radar:

Darion Green-Warren, 4-star CB from Narbonne HS
--Many expect USC to land Green-Warren, but he has other visits lined up for the fall with dates set for Penn State, Michigan and Nebraska. (He's already visited Georgia). This is far from a done deal, but USC seems to be in a good spot for him. Green-Warren isn't announcing his commitment until the All-American Bowl in January. Here's what we wrote about him earlier this summer.

LV Bunkley-Shelton, 4-star WR/DB from Gardena Serra HS
-I still maintain that USC should be pursuing Bunkley-Shelton hard as a WR. It's the position he wants to play and he'd be an ideal fit in Graham Harrell's offense. The Trojans were recruiting more as a defensive back, but I just talked to him and he says he's really built a relationship with Keary Colbert in addition to continuing to hear from Greg Burns. So maybe there's potential for him to end up on either side if he came here. LV was at the Fall Showcase on Saturday and said he noticed a different vibe around the program. I'll have a bigger story on him tomorrow.

Semaj Verner, 3-star CB from Mayfair HS
--Verner was offered by USC in late May as a wave of schools got involved with him. He hasn't been a priority target to this point, but that might change as options dwindle. I know the USC staff is intrigued by him. Here's what I wrote about him in June.

Dwight McGlothern, 4-star CB from Klein Oak HS (Houston, Texas)
-McGlothern visited USC in March when he was out here for a 7-on-7 tournament. USC is really interested in him, and he told me he'll take an official visit here this fall for a game. Our Rivals' analysts think he's going to Georgia, but the Trojans will get to make their pitch.

Ayden Hector, 4-star CB from Eastside Catholic HS (Sammamish, Wash.)
-The USC legacy has real interest in the Trojans. They haven't made him a true priority to this point, but that might need to change the further this recruiting cycle plays out. Here's what he told us a month and a half ago.

Elijah Jackson, 3-star WR/DB from Lawndale HS
-Rivals ranks Jackson as a WR, but USC has him on its list of potential DB targets. I don't know much about him, but it looks like he was far down the road of a commitment before something changed.

Elijhah Badger, 4-star ATH from Folsom HS
-He's another one I need to look into more closely. Badger and USC have had some degree of mutual interest, but there hasn't been a lot of buzz. Our Rivals guys think he's going to Oregon, but it's not a done deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News